View Single Post
Old 2013-11-26, 17:05   Link #1
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Unhappy Most Disappointing Anime of 2013, Animesuki's Choice

Before I went straight to the point I really want to apologize to the moderators and administrators of this forum for starting this "event" somewhat too early but from what I can see from last year's thread some people still voting after the deadline(January 1st) and I just can't change the deadline in order to make way for Animesuki's Choice Awards which will start in January.

By the way there aren't any newer anime will be shown after Autumn(October) except for movies, OVAs and ONAs, which are qualified as long as shown before Christmas 2013 and any other anime shown afterwards in considered part of Winter 2014 releases, which not qualified for this thread.

Before we went straight to the event let's take a look on last year's(2012) "winners":

First Place: Sword Art Online with 27 votes
Second Place: Another with 18 votes
Third Place: Eureka Seven AO with 15 votes
Fourth Place: Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You and Arcana Famiglia with 10 votes each

One more thing I want to tell everyone else here this is the last year for such thread. There will be no more "Most Disappointing Anime of 2014" next year and this may be the last thread I ever made as well. If you still see a similar thread next year, I will not going to be the host. Trust me.

Anyway let me explain about the rules. First of all only anime premiered, not just shown in 2013 is eligible to vote. Some two-cour Autumn 2012 like Psycho-Pass have its second half shown in 2013 but it still officially an Autumn 2012 release, not 2013. Like I said before any anime shown before Christmas(December 25th) are eligible but those shown after aren't. Take a look on Another's case, it was shown in December 27th 2011 but still considered as part of Winter 2012 release and not Autumn 2011 which began in October 2011. In this case I'm using Christmas as a 'standard candle' for timing issues whether it is an Autumn or Winter release.

Second one anime title mentioned is considered as one vote. You cannot assign points on the anime you voted. Regardless how many time the title you mentioned in same post and it still counted as one. I also encourage people to bold or underline or italic the shows they voted to make the survey easier.

Third and the last you can make a comment for shows you voted but please keep it civil, professional and not getting too sarcastic at least towards other AS users. Please keep this thread clean from flame wars and plain ol' trolling.

Before I want to start this "award" I wanted to tell everyone why I made this thread and I wanted to stop right here. I know this thread can get messy just like what the last year's thread but I just want to survey people especially on what the most disappointing anime came out this year but seeing from results from last year's thread made me to stop except for this year as I afraid this thread could degenerate into "2013 anime that you hates" instead. Seeing there are many high-profiled shows premiered in this year so I made an exception this time, just this time.

Here are my votes, like everyone else my votes still counted one. There's no advantage of being host and thread creator except for the survey part, which is not as fun as you thought:

4. Hyperdimension Neptunia the Animation
While not a big Neptunia fan to begin with but the show itself somewhat lose its track in the middle, which is boring at best. While it does have good ending but it still to late to heal the damage it did in the middle. It also sad the entire Neptunia lore never carefully explored.

3. Freezing Vibration
I love first season in 2011. To me it was some sort of "Queen's Blade done right. While Vibration still cater most of its fans on what they did but like Neptunia it also loses its track although not as bad since it still quite faithful to its source material. I rated this one worse than Neptunia despite liking it more not because it is plain awful but rather just disappointed to see the whole Freezing lore got more and more nonsense although I loved its good use of fanservice and nudity, the only factors keeping me watching it.

2. High School dxd New
While "love" is not an accurate word to describe my interest towards first season but I still very interested on it like Freezing in 2011, it also have good use of fanservice and nudity. The second season still the same but unfortunately the fanservice and nudity are getting too excessive even I start to get disgusted with it. Where's the good premise and lore in the first season go? To be honest I also interested in the show's lore but it never carefully explored in second season, which is a huge disappointment to me.

1. Kimi no Iru Machi
While everyone else can see this many miles away by judging its source material but I still pumped for this show before it came out. Maybe it is the one of the shounen romance and drama show ever shown this year while other shounen/seinen shows tend to be a generic action or moe shows. Unfortunately it was a huge disappointment not just in narrative but also technical like characters are too stiff, both figuratively and literally. Animation quality can be better and worse of all didn't do justice to its source material. However I still proud of the despite naming it as a huge disappointment of the year. Maybe it is one of the few shounen romance and drama shows that stand up in the seas of generic action and moe shows.

January 1st 2014 update:

The "winner" of Most Disappointing Anime of 2013, Animesuki's Choice "award" goes to....

Kyoukai no Kanata/Beyond the Boundary

Got the first place with 24 votes. There's too many theories and reasons why this one "win" but at least most Animesuki's members agree this one is the most disappointing anime of 2013.

Ore no Imouto Season 2

The runner up with 17 votes. While I can see lots of people are going to vote for it but at least to me I quite liked it. Maybe because I actually liked the ending but unfortunately too many people disagree with me. Having this one got second place is quite a shock to me.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

In the third place is Maoyuu Maou Yuusha with 15 votes. Since I didn't had to see it so I can't make any judgement for this one but from most people who did saw it say it was weakly adapted.

Coppelion

While this one got fourth place with 12 votes but this one surprises me the most to see how many votes it got. I think most people were fooled by its production team than anything else. Just saying though. Suisei no Gargantia and Devil Survivor 2 tied in fifth place with 9 votes each but shows with less than 10 votes did not make it to the top 4 just like what I did to 2012 edition.

By the way thanks to all Animesuki users for voting and kept the thread alive during voting phase and I also want to thank the moderators and admins for letting me making such thread for one last time. There will no 2014 edition and this also the one of the last posts before I went to "hibernation" period. I not saying I'm leaving this forum yet but I may not going to visit this place again for several months. Thanks for everything.

Last edited by Kameruka; 2013-12-31 at 11:36.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote