View Single Post
Old 2013-11-30, 21:37   Link #33403
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Anybody on Rokkenjima might have motive to kill any single other person, but kill everybody?
Yeah, that's one of the biggest problems with any of the potential culprits on Rokkenjima Prime. For example, George. Purple truth in ep 8 aside, George has said some things in the games which suggest he'd do anything in order to be together with Shannon. And his image song is really, really creepy. Plus, he's one of the few people that Eva would have covered for, and he's also somebody that Yasu might not have been willing to go against if she knew something was up. At first glance I would have thought he was a decent potential culprit.

However...there isn't actually anything that his family could do to stop him and Shannon. Rather than being crazed over needing money ASAP, George has shown signs of wanting to make his fortune on his own. If he didn't have his family's approval for his marriage, that wouldn't stop him. There isn't really anything for George to gain by murdering everyone on the island. Not his family, not the servants.

I can think of a motive for George to kill Battler, though. But that's only one person. An oops-Battler-must-have-fallen-off-the-cliff murder disguised as an accidental death, maybe. Other than that, George might kill someone if things went out of hand and people went crazy with paranoia, but that's not a special motive for him; there are plenty of characters who could do that. Or...there's always the Kinzo-style insanity option, where he might kill everyone if Shannon died. Judging by Ryukishi's interviews, George isn't somebody who would flip out and start killing people upon finding out that his fiancee wasn't born a woman, so that's an unlikely motive.

So...it boils down mostly to a motive to kill one person but not all, and an insanity option. And George is one of the ones who seems the most plausible to me, even. Plenty of the others have even weaker motives in my opinion. In the end basically all the potential culprits don't have sufficient motives, which leaves the options of an accident (from sitting on tons of improperly stored explosives...) and misunderstandings leading to paranoia and shooting people.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote