View Single Post
Old 2014-01-26, 06:26   Link #4331
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It basically started when PS2 became too old-hat for customers, but Sony et al didn't necessarily want a bunch of simplistic ports on the PS3. So, the PSP was the next best thing. It also meant that they could scale down the assets rather than up, which is less work, although in some cases they did have to come up with creative solutions for 16:9 cropping.
I don't know if the Keima-Katsuragi-types realize this, but PSP/Vita ports severely restrict the original artwork (assuming it was available on PC or an HD console to begin with). Take a look at these game CGs illustrated by Misaki Kurehito and Shinobu Kuroya from an eroge titled Suihei Sen Made Nan Mile.

Images
From the PC version
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
From the PSP version
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I think the difference should be obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Like all art styles, it's a matter of taste. I think that Windmill does a good job of creating games that complement the art style, namely worlds that are generally bright and colourful. That certainly doesn't take a way from the talent and skill of other artists, and game makers who also find ways to complement the story with the art.
Windmill is definitely in the business of making "cute and moe" type of world and characters, then. It doesn't look like Ko~cha would be making much in the way of mature or dark characters; even the protagonist of Happiness! has an adoptive mother who looks childish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
It's hard to say when it ended when adaptations of voiced eroges were not even that common before 2005. Besides H-animes the earlier ones that kept the original seiyuus were Green Green, Happiness, Lamune, School Days and To heart 2
To Heart 2 was a special case, partly because to my knowledge the all-ages PS2 port was released first (along with the anime to build hype) before the 18+ version was released on PC. I don't know of any other eroge title that had this release order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Even then, those more well known male seiyuus such as Norio Wakoto, Miki Shinichirou, Fujiwara Keiji don't appear all that much in eroges ( they usually voice supporting characters or antagonists in those stories ) because the central characters are most of the time the female heroines. Male protagonists are usually not voiced
This is because most ero-gamers don't care to hear (censored) noises from male seiyuus--as such, they aren't recorded most of the time. 18+ Otome/fujoshi gamers are the exception to the rule, of course. Hence, you get famous male seiyuus like Norio Wakamoto voicing minor roles in titles like Majikoi--they're not the ones making (censored) noises, after all. I have to wonder if Hiroshi Kamiya would have minded doing so for the Majikoi eroge series (he played Yamato Naoe in the Majikoi anime).
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote