View Single Post
Old 2014-02-27, 16:57   Link #33993
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
Reading this interview, I think we are hitting him a little too hard with the sexism-club. He's not really talking about his characters or a general way of being but more of a way to approach media-contents...and I think he's not completely wrong. Not because men and women are that different on an inherently genetic level, but more because they are raised that way.
Although I will agree that it was hasty to make conclusions from just a summary and not the statement itself, considering the tendency he has to make stupid remarks like that I don't think it was unjustified.

Though from the looks of the actual statement, yes, I don't think he is being that unreasonable. Clumsy perhaps, but not unreasonable. These stereotypes do exist and they feed on themselves (especially that about the moe culture which he seems to satirize so much in Higurashi).

That being said, he should really, really refrain from making any more clumsy statements about the two sexes. It really does leave a bad taste inside his works. From Higurashi to Rose Guns Days you expect to read phrases like 'my foolish manly pride' and 'as a man I can't afford to lose' that don't have a trace of realism. It is really annoying because all of those are so flat and out of place, his characters don't even seem to support that, Natsuhi for one, has more foolish pride than any male character in the cast.

Sometimes it does feel like he is just making fun of eroge games (like Key's who were an inspiration for Higurashi) and the way they treat male characters, but most of the time it just feels creepy.

And don't get me started on Battler's breast syndrome. Just... urgh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
So far they're just some random pictures but hopefully more will get posted. Meanwhile enjoy!
Wait... wait... is this what I think it is? Because if it is then we are getting gender confirmation(?!)

It's a good thing that we get these revisions in the manga. I suppose it proves Ryukishi is aware EP8 was sloppy-work and is somehow making up for it.

It's tough to be blue...

Last edited by Captain Bluebeard; 2014-02-27 at 17:13.
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote