View Single Post
Old 2014-03-02, 22:36   Link #58
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Russian side also accused the west about financial support of the protesters. I think this is very plausible. You have a huge group of people who has done nothing except protesting for months. They have practical needs as well. Where does all those money come from?
Well the protests against the president DID have allot of popular support in many areas. It's not exactly outside the realm of reasoning they were getting popular support to keep them fed and watnot.

...I suppose it's hypothetically possible the USA was supporting the dissidents, but I think that dramatically overestimates the competence of the CIA, or their ability to predict that something like this would be so effective. Or how much they cared about the seemingly unexceptional anti-government protests (seriously, a few months ago, was ANYONE predicting this would topple the Ukrainian government?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbg711 View Post
Ukraine’s authorities want to respond militarily, but can’t, because they’re broke. And the country is quickly heading towards a financial default.
Well technically they could respond militarily in spite of being broke. They do have soldiers, weapons and vehicles that could go rolling...keeping them supplied in an extended conflict would be problematic, but short term they COULD go in shooting...course a major reason the Ukrainians are likely holding back is because they know they can't win a standup fight against the Russians. I think everyone remembers what happened to Georgia when they decided to self-righteously tangle with the Russians.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote