View Single Post
Old 2014-03-17, 18:52   Link #391
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
LOL. Feel free to explain to this third world person which of the following is democratic:
(a) Protesters overthrow a democratically elected president and install a new government which only represents like half of the nation. That's certainly not democratic. Why does the west support that government?

(b) Military coups overthrow another democratically elected president. Again, why does the west back this coup in Egypt?

(c) I don't recall many Gulf nations being anywhere near democracy. The western nations are in the same bed with them because?

It feels to me that "democracy" has been a word which is used by the US-lead west on international stage whenever it is convenient.
You are not offering any proof that the referendum is legitimate. You are merely pointing out that you don't think it matters.

The fact that you don't think it matters, is the reason we can't take any of this seriously. If democracy is just a sham to you, then you can't use the referendum as any kind of justification. You can't have it both ways.