View Single Post
Old 2014-03-25, 07:13   Link #34196
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndqanh_vn View Post
The same thing, the adults romance is very much better written than the children's alter-egos threesomes... It's one thing I always like about Umineko, sometimes Ryukishi could build very good characters, especially female one. Unfortunately, Yasu is a serious miss for me.
Hmm... I consider Yasu to be very relatable as well, at least to some extent because everything that happens to her is always over the top for her to, but writing-wise, it is true that the adults are much more fleshed out and realistic. Probably because Chiru was so sloppily written. I mean, you can see how much work and brainstorming Ryukishi did for Umineko by reading EP1, there are so many ideas and so many characters and concepts that it's inspiring. That all dies out in Chiru.

It also happens that waters are so muddied around Yasu and her character that we just had to guess tons of backstory (which at least was confirmed in the manga). Maybe if we were given more information about her and her life, or if Chiru had been handled more carefully, she wouldn't feel that alien.

Quote:
But Gohda...is just kinda there. His character's utterly redundant. They could use Kumasawa for a chef and get rid of his characters just fine. That makes it even sadder, because at the end, he seemed to be just one unlucky guy got caught up in a tragedy that is totally unrelated to him.
I pretty much agree with Kealym, Gohda's character becomes a lot more interesting if seen in that light. But, his character development kinda died out somewhere in the middle of the Question Arcs, kinda like Kumasawa and Genji, persumably because they don't have the thighs to pull of a magical Angle Mort uniform.

Quote:
And that's why, in my opinion, whatever excuse Yasu got when she decided to nuke everyone (if she ever did), the fact that she included an innocent bystander into her plan is still hard to overlook.
Gohda's presence there that day was probably arranged by Natsuhi and Krauss, because he would be the best distraction for the adults as he is good in entertaining guests. Yasu is completely resigned to her fate, so she probably decided it was Gohda's bad luck to get caught up or something.... which doesn't really make her less of an asshole, but just sayin'...

On that note, I would have really liked to see an affair between him and Natsuhi, it would really give a chance to add some depth to both characters (and clearly, Gohda is in dire need of it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle22 View Post
Yasu is not trying to atone, nor does she think what she is doing is justified. No one accepts the excuse. Murder is murder. But the tragedy around her character is real and I feel sorry for her. Same way I feel sorry about everyone who died. No one deserved it.
I think the problem most people have with Yasu is that she is so desperate for sympathy and understanding while she doesn't seem to sympathize with others at all. Which is actually a problem if she really is the culprit. It sort of is understandable, as she never really got any sympathy except from imaginary friends, but suddnely starting to see other people as potential sacrifices is not exactly just being bitter....

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote