View Single Post
Old 2006-04-06, 06:26   Link #104
adamatari

I'll echo nearly everyone else so far in saying this was just BRILLIANT. Though I was spoiled about the film-within-a-film conceit (4chan lol), I think any viewer watching this would pick up on it fairly soon. If the opening doesn't tip you off, then at least very quickly it should be obvious - my god, the song was SO BAD. The false bad production values cleverly conceal ridiculously high ones, though - even the song was done REALLY WELL. Also, anybody else notice the feedback tone at the beginning? The way they imitated bad production values is brilliant in itself (I'm pretty sure the tone was on purpose...).

Honestly, if you got scared off by the first episode you shouldn't watch this show. This was comedic genius. The jokes were all WAY overdone, but hilariously so.

As for the characters... It seems Mikuru is a wimp and ditz in real life. Yuki is one of those "silent but weird" types that seem to be more popular lately (a definite contrast with the earlier Rei type of silent, passive girls). Itsuki is still a mystery as far as I can tell. I think Kyon likes Mikuru - he's way too jealous of Itsuki. As for Haruhi, she instantly reminded me of Tomo from Azumanga Daioh.

I didn't really notice anything weird was up until the cat talked, but after watching again the eyebeam thing seemed to have actually worked for real the first time, accidentally striking down our cameraman...

Even if the rest of the episodes are only half as good this series will be far above average. If they are close to the quality of this first episode this will be a true classic.
adamatari is offline   Reply With Quote