View Single Post
Old 2014-08-29, 10:51   Link #133
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
My only disappointment his how Aoshi got sort of made into a straight standard "I want to be the best in Japan" RK villain, then again he doesn't get a lot of screen time in the movie. On the other hand, Soujiro's actor was completely spot on, all the way from his empty smile to the way he hops when he fights.
Agreed! Aoshi was reduced to a psychopath obsessed with revenge. He doesn't get a lot of characterization either. Makes me think that perhaps he would have been better off as the big baddie in the first film. That way, he would have been given more exposure and character build up. Kamiki was awesome, he was my favorite in this film. Even Soujiro's shukuchi was realistically adapted for the live action version. It gave him an almost reckless fighting style yet incredibly deadly and efficient. His fight scene with Kenshin was well-executed. In fact, the action sequences in this film were much better than in the first one.

I wasn't too fond of Fujiwara as Shishio though. I understand that it's difficult to act behind those bandages but other actors have done more acting with just their eyes or mouths exposed than he did. I just didn't see and feel Shishio's malevolence in his portrayal. All I saw was just a badly burned guy wrapped in mummy-like bandages, nothing more.

The other characters like Okina and the rest of the Oniwabanshu were nothing but fodder in the film. Hopefully, they'll get more screen time in the next film.

I am looking forward to seeing Hiko in the Legend Ends though. Masaharu Fukuyama seems like a good choice. I guess we shall see.

Last edited by ronin myael; 2014-09-02 at 21:58.
ronin myael is offline   Reply With Quote