View Single Post
Old 2014-12-28, 08:42   Link #13
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
I was under the impression the OP was discussing not the actual dubbing of anime into other languages (seriously, why wouldn't the English licensor pick people who sound like native English speakers if that's their target audiance?) but the use of foreign languages in the actual Japanese original.

If they do mean the actual dub, then frankly I think it's a more a matter of there being a more limited pool of talent more than anything.
Sorry, I guess that like Solace I misinterpreted the OP's question.

I guess I couldn't even fathom the expectation of hiring native speaking voice actors when anime are infamously notorious for not even bothering hiring someone with a decent understanding of the language to check the dialogs and song lyrics.
In very recent years it's gotten a little better though.

Fun fact, recently in an episode of SAO II there was an NPC speaking in English. Many people complained that he sounded weird. He was actually voiced by Jeff Manning, an American voice actor.

PS. Regarding French, Japanese have the most absurd conception of how the language accent sound. I've seen a few characters trying to sound "French" in several anime, they all talk with seemingly the same fake accent and voice intonation, which has really nothing to do with the real one. There must have been some kind of comedian that popularized that way of talking or something and now it has engrained on Japanese mentality.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote