View Single Post
Old 2015-04-17, 07:34   Link #2126
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando99 View Post
Of course his eyes are clear again. He did not have to atone for all the bad things he did. Whatever his motivation was, karma should have bit him in the ass at the end.
No, he's still paying for it. What he wanted prior to Inaho's visit - death - would have been a different way of paying for it, but IMO, that would have been the easy way out for him. Dying is nothing compared to having to live with the consequences of the choices one has made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando99 View Post
This is not an uncommon ending for most Japanese anime/manga/light novel. The antagonist, if not killed outright, will in the end somehow "gets away with it", as we say here in the West. He does not face any repercussions or punishment for the actions he took. No matter how grave those actions maybe.

It is probably cultural but of course it is just a guess on my part as I cannot say that I am familiar with Japanese culture. I read about their brutality in WW II though and their general lack of sense of guilt or apology to those that were their victims. There are still countries/groups of people still waiting on the much needed apology.
Did you know that Japan has actually apologised numerous times over the years? That the majority of people do indeed feel a strong sense of responsibility, and that what you're describing applies only to a small proportion of the society?

I do not want to start a debate here about what you have written. Instead, I'd like to suggest that you try and read up on the Japanese perspective -- especially in terms of the legacies of what the US did during the Occupation, such as effectively pardoning hundreds of people who'd been suspected or even convicted of war crimes, including the grandfather of current PM Abe. I'm not saying I don't understand the Western perspective, or those of China and the Koreas - I study and teach about Japan's post-war politics and international relations. But it's definitely more complicated and less one-sided than you have represented it to be.

@Syaokura
That bit basically confirms that it was Asseylum wanting Slaine to be saved that released him from the "chains of misery" that had bound him until then. Well...it was a description of Slaine's ending written by an Animedia writer rather than a direct comment from Aoki et al, but it fits with everything else I've heard or read that they said...

I'm kind of busy for the next week or so, but I'll see if I can find time to translate from the Newtype interview, which I do have. Unfortunately, Animedia sold out on amazon before I managed to put in my order (I had hoped it would be restocked once it was actually released, but no such luck...) so I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing that special please? I'd really really appreciate it... m(_ _ )m

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2015-04-17 at 09:47.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote