Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2015-05-08, 03:55   Link #36471
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I agree on that. My Econs lecturers still teach that interest rates don't go below negative, Bernanke still holds office, amongst other things. They KNOW they are wrong but they have to "teach the syllabus". The students take it hook line sinker.
It means you have a shitty syllabus. It means nothing with regards to how it's assessed.

Frankly, I have little sympathy for people who complain that exams are a poor measure of intelligence because they're so smart but have poor grades. Which is like 90% of people complaining about exams.

I have a little more for those who have good grades but feel (rightfully) it doesn't measure their readiness for the "real world". That is worth thinking about.

But my problem with projects is that it's easy to cut so many corners, and that grading them is a lot more arbitrary than exams (which are already imperfect in that regard).

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
Well, it wouldn't more arbitrary than an essay on SAT.
Yeah, but the essay shouldn't be worth all the points. And at least with a small number of essay topics, it's easy to provide official guidelines for marking.