View Single Post
Old 2015-08-28, 11:21   Link #35321
turlingdrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
When it comes to "writing broken games", EP5 is a clear example that this is allowed to a certain extent. Like EP8 (manga) tells us, the author of End made the culprit do things that they could do but wouldn't. This ended up creating a game without love, since love was the reason that the culprit would never choose the move that the author of End made them do.
And this is where even broken games become huge hints, because they make you reconsider the whydunnit.
Thanks for the detailed answers.
On this point though, I can't say I'm convinced. Let's use chessboard thinking on Ryuukishi... Clearly, he's trying to show us a game without love, but why on Earth would he go into so much Gameboard detail? In fact, EP5 might have the most Gameboard details of any EP. Did he really spend that much time just to say "people without love write bad, unsolvable mysteries?", something that can be explained in one sentence? To me, that sort of implies that trying to understand the details of what happened on the EP5 Gameboard is completely useless. And yet, he does leave some unresolved mysteries there, prompting us to waste our time looking for a legitimate solution.

I can't see any author intentionally writing a broken puzzle and then still challenging us to solve it, especially not Ryuukishi. If the puzzle looks broken, it must be because we're missing something. And I think there is a rational explanation that covers most of what happens in EP5.
turlingdrome is offline   Reply With Quote