View Single Post
Old 2016-02-10, 17:35   Link #18
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
I felt that the entire "plot" centered around everyone hiding Momo, etc. for the past few weeks was weak, and the fact that it led to this "twist" makes it weaker.
I agree that that particular subplot regarding Momonosuke's hideout and the delayed arrival of the Samurai was rather weak, but this surprise ending to it makes it a lot better, not weaker. I vastly prefer this option over the expected outcome of the Minks going against the Samurai and even the Strawhats. I would have hated that turn of events, which is, I guess, why I like this surprise so much.

Quote:
Sure, it was a surprise, but it seems more like Oda wanted to show the relationship between Zou and the Kougetsu clan but didn't know how to go about it, and so he decided to rely on this roundabout method to "shock" us.
I don't think Oda didn't know how to go about showing the relationship between the two people. Rather I think he postponed doing that, because he wanted to focus on showing Jack's ruthlessness first, as well as set up the subplot involving Sanji. It's clear that both Jack and Whole Cake Island are going to be very important soon. Oda wanted to set up those elements before turning the story over to the Kougetsu and their relation to the Zou residents. Sure, he could have done so without the constant reminder that the Samurai's presence may cause trouble, but my guess is Oda just figured he might as well shock us if he's going to delay that part of the arc. Plus the Mink's denial helped establish Jack's characterization.