View Single Post
Old 2016-04-17, 10:57   Link #100
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
So Unicorn is a mere stopgap for, hopefully, a better Gundam show? Possibly after IBO S2?
Unless they do some more significant changes later on, it feels to me like a cheap cashgrab (cheap because they don't appear to be spending much money), possibly to advertise some Unicorn kits to people who haven't watched it, since it's available for free now. Also possible they will sell Blu-Rays of this too but hard to tell. It won't sell too well (if they keep this up) but if they don't spend too much money, they might stand to make a profit off the venture.

It's also possible that they are saving their budget for later stuff in later arcs, especially since the whole OVA content doesn't appear to be able to run a two cour show by themselves.

Whatever it is, it certainly doesn't look like they have much money invested in this, given how they are getting repeated scenes between OVA volumes. There's definitely a sense of conservatism here in the spending given how they would go so far as to use repeated scenes.

It also wouldn't surprise me if this was part of an experiment of sorts on how they can adopt one of their OVA series into a TV series, so they can rehash more OVA series in the future if it works well. Not unlike how they make Special Edition movies of TV series, which is a thing they do. Unicorn is pretty popular I think so if it fails, they would know for sure it's because of the special rehashed format and know that it is unviable to try this again for another OVA series.