View Single Post
Old 2016-11-22, 10:20   Link #47
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Allow me to interject with something I learned from The Twelve Kingdoms. Suffering is not a competition. You do not "win" by having suffered more than someone else. You do not "lose" by having suffered less. Just because you've suffered less than someone else, that does not make your own trauma irrelevent. Just because you've suffered more than someone else, that does not make their trauma irrelevent. For each person the things they've suffered through leave an indelible mark upon their soul.

Both Vivio and Rinne have gone through things that no child should ever have to suffer through. It does not matter which one suffered more. Just because Vivio went through that hell when she was younger does not mean Rinne's own pain is invalid, and that Rinne should "suck it up" and act like nothing ever happened to her. Nor does Rinne's pain render Vivio's experiences and the wisdom she gained from them invalid.

What matters here is that Rinne misjudged Vivio, and used that misjudgement to justify a vicious hatred of Vivio for what she thought she represented. It's that mindset, that thought pattern that turns everyone who stands in the way of what she sees as her solution into enemies just like the bullies she nearly killed, that is the true problem.
Well put. I agree.