Thread: Crunchyroll Idol Incidents
View Single Post
Old 2017-01-09, 11:07   Link #16
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
On what grounds are people saying this show is self aware?
There's certain pieces of dialogue here and there that gives the show a tongue-in-cheek vibe to me. A good example is the straight-man character that's directly assisting the female leader. I think the straight-man is voicing some of the criticisms and complaints that most viewers would if these scenarios were playing out in real life. The show doesn't really have good answers to give him, other than absurd situations piling up on absurd situations somehow leading to good results for our protagonists. The implication I see here is that this show isn't taking itself all that seriously. I think the show is self-aware in how ridiculous its content is, so the show is just having fun with it, really. I doubt the show is seriously advocating for the creation of a Heroine political party that's entirely made up of J-Pop idols.

Based on Episode 1, anyway, I think the show is aiming at light lampooning of idol anime tropes more than it's aiming for political satire (the emphasis on "toughing it out" and sheer genki goodness leading to success reminds me of a good number of idol anime). This could change, but I find it notable that the politics side of things is truly surface-level so far - There's not much depth to anything on the politics side, no discussion of specific public policies for example. So I think that first and foremost this is an idol anime comedy, that's just using politics for lighthearted jokes and punchlines.

If you're not familiar with idol anime, and/or tend to seriously dislike idol anime, this show might not be for you.