View Single Post
Old 2017-01-27, 16:40   Link #276
endlessabyss

Note: I'm not a music expert, so I'm basing on how I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
I don't know if it's necessarily their lack of experience individually or as a group.
I think it is a bit of both. Don't get me wrong, there are songs that are very fluid, but it seems to me there are some songs or certain parts of songs that are of the opposite. Also the song compositions and the producers might have to do with it. The singers are trying to sing in a certain way that feels off/unnatural to me and they don't have the singing experience to pull it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
[Edit] It seems May'n had some singing experiences/training prior to Macross (Sources: 1, 2).

Although having evidences prior to a show is nice to get a sence of a singer's capability, experiences, etc., I as a consumer wouldn't make a fuss if there aren't any beforehand. What's important is the now (in this case, a snapshot of when a show is airing). One can probably tell who has (some) experiences singing and others have no experiences. Take the last two Macross series. May'n has more singing experiences/training (than Megumi) under her belt when F aired. (A couple of questions from the listed above sources that were made after the show ended seem to confirmed my suspicion.) Likewise Junna and Minori than the other three singers when D aired.

May'n was at her peak when the show aired, especially when Yoko Kanno is involved. Also I think it is a bit of an unfair comparison of May'n vocals: from the CD to only one of her many performances. What about her performances where she is at her 100%? If she is off, think of the possible scenarios/contexts. Probably she has performed many songs and is out breath. (If I remember correctly a video of one of them was posted in this thread, in which you can see she is out breath.) As for her post-Macross works, in which I haven't checkout out most of them - by the way Chase the World - Accel World OP is friggin' awesome!-, but based on the sentiments here, she needs to have the right songs to showcase her vocals/full potential.

-

On the other note, no need to be so argumentative all the time (i.e. pitting something against the another). Why force someone to do/like something, agree with your view, or say your view is the right one? Everyone has his/her personal tastes (personally I see no problem liking nostalgia), i.e characters they like, music, etc. There are some things we can learn from one another without being too judgmental; maybe realize something that you haven't realized before. Maybe be more understanding by seeing from other point of views (although you don't necessarily have to agree). Otherwise let's agree to disagree, shall we?

Last edited by endlessabyss; 2017-01-29 at 22:31. Reason: Additional thoughts/revisions.
endlessabyss is offline   Reply With Quote