View Single Post
Old 2017-02-06, 03:32   Link #297
s07195
However,

Um, aren't people being a bit too harsh on the show? Diana clearly fails - her first attempt at fixing things failed, remember? She isn't omnipotent, at the very least.

As for the dragon (I assume that we can talk without spoiler tags now), I find it a nice allusion to the classical (Tolkien?) image of the dragon in the cave coveting its pile of gold... except now it trades in stocks

I find this to be a great worldbuilding and 'setting up themes' episode, although I can't say it does much for the character development of the main cast. I do want to see Fafnir return sometime later in the series though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Something in this series isn't adding up. If the Stone is the source of magic to the point where magic is non-existent by the time you get into the town, what's the point of magic anymore?
Here's some stuff from the Witchpedia page on the official TV anime website.
http://tv.littlewitchacademia.jp/witchpedia/

Witches-
現在魔法は科学技術の発達により実用的な技術とはみなされず、伝統芸能に近いものになっている 。 魔法の悪用は厳しく禁じられており、違反者に対しては残酷な制裁が行われていた。

"With the advent of scientific technology magic has lost its practicality and become something similar to a traditional art. Misuse of magic is severely prohibited and any wrongdoers are subjected to horrific punishments."

Sorcerer's Stone-
新月の塔の最上階にある魔力を帯びた石。希薄になり衰えた魔力を集め、ルーナノヴァでの魔法使用を可能とし ている。効果範囲はルーナノヴァのみと限定的。
"A stone on the top floor of Crescent Moon Tower(?) that stores magic. It gathers the slowly fading magic and makes it possible to use magic. It's area of effect only stretches across Luna Nova."

What we can see from this is that well, first of all, magic and witches... are outdated. Even dragons, flagbearers of fantasy worlds, have embraced modern technology and say that magic is done for. I think Constance will be a crucial character to this theme considering her specialty.

However, in fact, magic itself is fading. Science and technology, while practical, is quite emotionless and in contrast magic is traditional and outdated, but obviously capable of spectacular things.
It's quite a classic, romantic, idealistic theme when you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I do agree there are some problems coming out of this one. A combination of making Diana too perfect and everyone else too incompetent. I'm sorry, how the heck does she learn an ancient language by 12 and yet the teachers themselves can't read it? Or even that they don't know any person on the freaking planet that can read it? Where and how did Diana learn it if apparently no one else knows how to read the language? Come on...

We know Diana isn't perfect since she overall screwed up in the butterfly scenario. But it's hard to handle her character when everyone else is an idiot.

I think Akko is fine at this point. Right now they are running with the idea that she's a bundle of passion and energy. It wasn't a bad thing near the end of the episode to continue working on that front. Diana resolved the situation. But that alone didn't have an impact on the dragon himself. It was Akko's passion that at least stuck in his mind.

And really looking at the situation for magic in general...Akko may be more important for the future than Diana. Having a super elite at something people are continuing to care less and less about means only so much. But having someone who can potentially move hearts, that may be a lot more valuable. Magic is battling the digital and technological age. May be more important to have someone less structured.
Pretty much my thoughts, but I'd like to add that at the age of 12 potentially matches up with when Diana was into Shiny Chariot - this could be why she set her heart to learning it, though I doubt language could ever last 1,000 years without changing.

...There ARE people learning Old English even now, I mean.