View Single Post
Old 2017-03-17, 16:01   Link #16744
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
It was a fair way to wrap things up imo. The two strongest spriggan couldn't be defeated in combat, validating the spriggan's reputation. They ended up dying because they couldn't bring themselves to kill their own family, reinforcing the theme of love. It ties up very nicely. August's ending was sad though. I wish there had been slightly more interaction with Mavis towards August's end, a word between them or something.
That's one way to look at it. I understand, and even appreciate, that Mashima made opponents that even Fairy Tail's strongest wizards couldn't out-muscle like they almost always do, necessitating a different approach that would adhere to Fairy Tail's themes, in this case the power of love and family... But August's defeat just raises too many questions.

Isn't Mavis immortal? Or is she free of the curse now? If she's not immortal anymore, why wasn't that established sooner? Otherwise, if she's still immortal, what would August care? We've seen Zeref recover from deadly injuries, so clearly Mavis could do the same. And what about Fairy Heart? Did August forget about that when he decided to blow up the world, or is that really not relevant? If he's that okay with blowing up the world, why didn't he do it in the first place? Would Zeref and Acnologia survive the world blowing up? Or are all of these inquiries moot in the face of human emotion?

...Or maybe August inherited the curse of contradiction from his parents, but on a much lower, less inherently lethal scale that only affected his thoughts like Zeref's going through now? Because that would actually make sense.

EDIT: Well, after reading the chapter again, I suppose he wasn't actually trying to blow up the world; he was only boasting that he had that capacity. It was never clear, especially since Natsu and Zeref didn't even seem to notice the spell, but if August could control the range and never realized Mavis was within it, then that would make sense. Still, it really feels like the "power of love" approach could've been less...anti-climactic.

I just know what you should be doing.

Last edited by immblueversion; 2017-03-17 at 18:02.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote