View Single Post
Old 2017-03-27, 12:58   Link #538
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
7/10

Hmm while I liked the previous episode a lot, I don't know how I feel about the finale. Everything felt kind of vanilla. Also boo no progress between the senseis.

I guess my biggest problem is that I just find machi and yukionna really boring. Especially the eps just focused on them
Yuki was probably the weakest girl for personality, even if she had the angsty bullying subplot, and an unexpected taste for manga. Nothing made her feel very unique or real, compared to the cuddle-bug model student Machi, or the most spontaneous of genki girls, Hikari. The Yuki-onna myth very much prescribes the characters of the solemn and enigmatic ghost-like siren. Yuki starts off only a bit like that, then turns out to be actually quite friendly and normal, without a great character change struggle, so her personality ends up very middle-of-the road.

On the other hand, Machi's Dullahan powers are linked very nicely to her desire for physical affection; her pleasant model student character contrasts both with her endearing inner neediness and the sinister Dullahan legend. She has to think about her future in ep 10, deal with her crush on teacher, and manages to give him a charming speech in ep 11, though her face as she exits stage left suggests she's squirming with emotion inside. She gets my vote for best girl.

Sakie and Hikari have similar striking contrasts between the legends of Succubi/vampires, and their personality; though Hikari evokes the charismatic and theatrical strand of vampirism, in very much her own way. Yuki is the only one without such a stand-out character contrast, though she also has good points; but the bullying issues weren't some of the strongest. Likewise, the actual discussions of demi powers were often not very deep or enthralling; the premise was more of a setup for the lighthearted of some lovable schoolgirls and teachers being themselves and having fun.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote