View Single Post
Old 2017-04-08, 06:59   Link #93
Kaito Yamakage

^^ Hey it's been 2 years since I read chapter 1 of this series. Apparently I've read too many WNs.

^I won't disagree on this one feeling bland at times, I actually only started to like it after 300-600 chapters. Found the war/labyrinth arcs most interesting, adventuring in this one is just kind of aimless. I think part of it is the fact that the author doesn't write more than 500 characters per chapter since it's a series meant to be read on cellphone daily. It really takes bulk to connect together.

I wasn't a fan of vermillion. It wasn't a bad series, but I only rarely get into the mood for the us vs the world series. They are like one step below angst types to me. When an author makes every series of event a tragedy I just want to say if you can barely survive on a daily basis just go make a farm somewhere, adventuring is not cut out for you. Vermillion wasn't that bad but a lot of the atmosphere just felt like there were eternal dark clouds casted over the world they were in.

(In general there's a pretty fine balance between the rate of which the author brings perils upon the characters and the rate of overwhelming their enemies to keep a series interesting. A lot of people seem to like series where the characters are in constant danger but those just tire me out so I prefer ones where they are OP as fuck. Danger/tragedy is okay and really needed but only some of the time.)

I also don't care for the 500 chapters as a child ones as well, though at least in those there's hint that they'll eventually go for their harem members and the bigger problem is almost all of them slow in releases before it reaches that point. The old man ones they have to make it known at every instance that they aren't interested in women below 40 even though they're currently 15 and quite a few have gone to completion without changing that. I have also read a couple of exceptions to the child rule which were good but almost no exceptions for the old men.

I stopped death march primarily because the OP factor in that case was always in MCs favor, no matter how inflated his enemies appear to be there is no challenge and despite that the way his age is portrayed irks me. If you're going to make him look 15 or younger make his actions rejuvenate as well not to mention no characters in the series point this out. I do plan to finish it when it finishes though just not good enough IMO to keep up with.