View Single Post
Old 2017-04-21, 16:49   Link #92
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Like everyone else here (myself included), you are entitled to your own opinions. And some of those opinions are certainly good arguments. But, your eternal condescending, "I am right and you are wrong" attitude has become too much for me to bear, so I shan't be engaging in conversations with you any further.
I'm terribly sorry. I assure you I NEVER meant to be condescending. In fact, as I said, the things you said can indeed be a part of what makes a great relationship, just like being completely different can. My only intended point was that while this is a very small part of romance, rival characters always superficially disregard everything beyond and declare themselves to be perfect for the love interest because of this, while declaring the hero to be worthless. And the same is true of the people around him, like the girls in Akane's club: they see the star of the club they're all in and think he's the one for her. Without anything more, they really can't beat the true hero, whose completely different interests are most certainly not a disadvantage. This is not to say in any way that all rivals are this simple or this superficial, or that the relationships with people who share such similarities are always superficial. But many rivals share these characteristics, and they often try to use logical reasons like these why they're great for the heroine and the main hero is terrible. And when these traits are used in that way, either as an attempt by a rival to drive away the hero or as a fear the hero feels about her belonging with someone else, it tends to become a minor point on account of what lies beyond the logic.

I seriously didn't mean to direct my comments at you the way I did and suggest that you were "wrong". There is no "right" or "wrong" in this matter, since as I said, the similarity of interests can be a plus or a minus, just like differences can. It's perfectly logical to assume that there would be a better chance for a more solid relationship with such similarities, and I'm quite sure that a lot more strong relationships come from people who are walking the same path in life, like fellow runners or fellow writers, etc. But when a writer and a runner are shown clearly looking mostly at each other, feelings will most likely trump logic.

Additionally, concerning the idea of them going to the same school, for now at least it sounds like she's not trying to choose her school based on its track-and-field team. The only school mentioned is an inconveniently distant school her sister goes to, and it's not big on track and field, it's just big on clubs in general.

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2017-04-23 at 10:16.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote