View Single Post
Old 2006-07-06, 01:52   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Gave it a 9 .... not a 10 because it should have been a longer series (but I suspect we may get more) and I usually round down.

I'll agree with Kaoshin that the novels are better but then I find that is true of any visual treatment of a novel (the sole exception I can think of is Blade Runner - which I found more focused than the novel it derived from by Phillip K. Dick).

I guess I'd class this series as one of the best "should-have-been-a-Twilight-Zone" mini-series I've ever seen with its combination of science fiction, philosophy, romance, and anime archetype tweaking. I'll put it up against most television of any kind (anime or live action) and it'd fare well.

I'm mentally thumbing through every series I've ever seen. Some were great ... but almost every one of them had significant defects of some sort (animation, tripped up on ending, wierd derails that wasted episodes, etc). This show had almost no production problem outside of the "problem" that it required people to show up with an attention span and some clues.