View Single Post
Old 2006-07-06, 16:53   Link #18
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaël
(And wait for an unlikely French release...)
French anime magazines are just now starting to talk about Haruhi. Of course, they're praising the series (who couldn't?), and begging for a license, so we can only hope they'll be heard by some company, although it would still surprise me.

Being the anime "newbie" that I am, I'm so giving this series a 10. My 10 may not mean much since I've yet to catch up on the so famous old series, but out of the titles I've had the chance to see, this would rank as #2, right behind Mai Hime.

Just like many of us, I was really surprised by the first episode : I loved the humor, but was wondering how they'd be able to keep up with the level, since making 14 amateur movies would have gotten old someday. I obviously hadn't heard anything from Haruhi at the time.

I ended up seeing the second episode and being even more satisfied. The animation we weren't really able to see at first came off as wonderful for me, I immediately fell in love with the characters, and the humor was just great. I later read some spoilers about the real story, on Memento I believe, and got a bit spectical about the introduction of sci-fi elements into what I thought was a great humor series.

Later on, my mind quickly changed after the baseball episode, when I concluded that Yuki's spells just made the thing a lot more fun. And I understood that the series was crazy. The revelations that came later started some speculation, which became really interesting when combined with some spoilers. SHnY wasn't just something funny, but it went even deeper into a story that particularly interested me. I loved thinking about the possible actions of Haruhi, the oh so powerful Kami-sama. The parallels were also fun, maybe there's a Haruhi somewhere in the world that's controlling us.

I won't keep on detailing my pleasure while watching the series, but I thought the level was constantly increasing to reach its best with episodes 10-12-14. I've never wanted a sequel so badly, and any news regarding the possible making of more episodes might make me happy for a whole month.
In the end, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu stays memorable for the humor, the animation, the well-handled sci-fi, and more importantly, the lovely characters. Kyon reaches the spot of the best male lead ever, leaving me in a state of fangirl-ism (another effect of Haruhiism?) that I've never been in before. The females were great : Haruhi for her little bit of tsun and the massive dere that's been shown in the last episodes, Mikuru for the squealing, Yuki for the show in episode 10 and the emotions starting to show up, and Tsuruya for the genki. Itsuki may be the least liked character, but he's fun for shonen-ai hints.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to the appreciation of the series, especially a.f.k. who's done an awesome job. I also liked reading the opinions in the episode threads, there were no useless posts here (Shuffle! flashbacks, anyone?). See you for a second season, I hope. Or maybe for a future series that will be just as interesting, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. ^^