View Single Post
Old 2017-08-13, 01:18   Link #10
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
When your average customer service model is based around hiring the cheapest labor possible, this is only makes the job of criminals easier. The irony is that it's actually harder for normal customers to conduct normal business than it is for social engineers (they're not all criminals). Years ago when dealing with an issue I couldn't escalate past customer service I had a business contact who offered to help. In a three way call I listened to this guy work over the customer rep like it was the most natural thing in the world. When you do what he did for a living it's something that comes very easy. You learn just the right questions to ask and just the right tactics to bypass human suspicion, and because of the way CS is set up you can fail as much as you want because you'll probably get a new rep every time.
Yup. At least for the latter issue, there are things they could do to make that aspect more difficult (e.g. put a note on someone's file if someone was denied, which would require escalation should they try again and not have every single duck in a row), but they generally don't. CS is trying to help and some people legitimately are quite confused... plus most people don't understand just how much is at stake in the first place (so they get offended if you don't just do whatever they ask on the first try, no matter what policies it may violate). It's a challenge, for sure.