View Single Post
Old 2017-10-12, 16:14   Link #13
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Dammit, I knew the mechanic guy's name rang a bell, but he's the head of the Baltimore Gun Club in Verne's "From the Earth to the Moon".
That is NOT Impey Barbicane, he was serious, lawful and dignified. Not Frankenstein. Not distinctly Arsene Lupin. He says London is the centre of the world, do the writers even remember he's French?

These long-remembered characters had defined and original CHARACTERS in the novels; attaching their names to a trio of cliched bishonen is almost intolerable. Nor does steampunk make a setting alive or notable without something like historical British army uniforms to give a point of reference; otherwise it's just a mess of meaningless gadgets.

It was impressive to see Lupin frustrated and tense in his first appearance; this isn't typical behaviour for Gentleman Thieves. However it was ruined a minute later when the original G.T. had to go through the cliched posturing that his successors have worn out over the decades since. The heroine may have character in the videogame, but I'm sure this series will focus on the active male characters and hang her out to dry. If the first episode was a book, I'd be dropping it down a well.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote