View Single Post
Old 2017-10-13, 14:53   Link #14
BPD Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
That is NOT Impey Barbicane, he was serious, lawful and dignified. Not Frankenstein. Not distinctly Arsene Lupin. He says London is the centre of the world, do the writers even remember he's French?

These long-remembered characters had defined and original CHARACTERS in the novels; attaching their names to a trio of cliched bishonen is almost intolerable. Nor does steampunk make a setting alive or notable without something like historical British army uniforms to give a point of reference; otherwise it's just a mess of meaningless gadgets.

It was impressive to see Lupin frustrated and tense in his first appearance; this isn't typical behaviour for Gentleman Thieves. However it was ruined a minute later when the original G.T. had to go through the cliched posturing that his successors have worn out over the decades since. The heroine may have character in the videogame, but I'm sure this series will focus on the active male characters and hang her out to dry. If the first episode was a book, I'd be dropping it down a well.
I'm a mythology junkie, so after numerous instances Hollywood and anime - even books - butchering, I've long since learned to treat these characters as completely different people who happen to share the same name and occasional traits and relationships. It makes watching more enjoyable and helps dull the pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Hmmm, casting Hayami as Cardia is kind of the low point for me. I kind of had an idea of what they were going for when they did it, and the thought didn't make me all that happy. Anyway, we'll see where this goes.
Yeah, casting could be better, but I had worst-case scenario in mind when thinking about the cast -- grating, sickly-sweet voice or Sawashiro attempting to sound young again -- so I'm quite okay with Hayami.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote