View Single Post
Old 2017-06-24, 19:19   Link #27
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
I decided to quickly read through the available (translated) manga (I have no idea how the WN and LN compare).

Overall I'd say that it's "okay". It has both good points and bad points. Overall, I'd say it's more of a "shonen" series - it doesn't feel particularly detailed and complex. The MC is at least quite interesting and "grey" but there's a bit too much "My anger is justified!" from him. That being said, most of the characters are very black and white - either scum/idiots/fools/nutcases or victims/random nice guys. Because of the number of fools/scum, there's a strong tendency for events to feel similar, unfortunately. Things have improved a little in the most recent chapters though. I do like that the MC makes mistakes, can be wrong etc and genuinely has to struggle a lot, though there is a bit too much "why didn't you tell me earlier!?". The main female characters are okay but I can't say I found them to be too interesting.

The overall setting isn't too interesting - seen plenty of other series where a "summoned hero" (or similar) is treated like dirt... though since the WN started in 2012, maybe this series was one of the first ones to use this theme. I do like the mechanism for the main "demon attacks", since it's quite original. There's also some actual foreshadowing of future events. On the other hand, there's been a number of times where I thought "that doesn't make logical sense".
Basically this. The behavior of the villains seem forced at times and honestly a little contrived.