Thread: Crunchyroll Granbelm
View Single Post
Old 2019-10-01, 00:27   Link #363
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
@Triple_R I feel like the problem with this anime was that there were too much of an element of determinism that bordered on nihilism, with Magiaconawhatever deciding everything and it felt like nobody had any agency, as shown by the people that can't win no matter what. Even Shingestu's life was predetermined by them. (maybe she needs advice from Sisko on this ). They even noted that humans are going to just find some other means to make the world bad.
I did get that vibe in the last few episodes. That the characters felt really constrained by the plot, in a sense. Like, every character had a specific role, and that was it. No character was allowed to seriously reconsider things and possibly change their minds. You're right that DS9's Sisko would have been good here.

I found it very interesting when Mango became aware of her doll status. Honestly, that reveal was brilliantly executed. The immediate aftermath of that was really gripping and good character drama. But I was hoping that this would result in something more like the classic Pinocchio story. Instead of, you know, Mango very calmly going to her death for the sake of Ernesta's wish...

I just find it really hard to buy into the sacrifices here. I just feel like they never made magic seem evil enough that anybody sane would be willing to die (or worse) just to get rid of magic.

Quote:
I mean, I really did like this anime as it really did feel like a blast from the past (espeically the ending narration),
I liked how certain bits of it made me think of classic Gundam. It was nicely retro in some ways yeah.

By the way, nice talking with you again, Archon. It's been awhile.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2019-10-01 at 00:42.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote