View Single Post
Old 2020-06-07, 08:06   Link #10019
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^^

So enlightening

So people basically just said fuck you to the trend at the time and began seeking for stories that are opposite or "fixing" the flaws of that trend
Which in turn became the current trend and now I'm hating on it

But, with the rise of YURI CRAP lately, what was that backlash of?
I still like the current trend than classic Wuxia novels. Classic wuxia novels are memorable and tell a story about truly heroic people, but at the same time are just heart-wrenching and leave a lot of regret. The message of the story is always that no matter how OP the MC is, he is only a human,and that there's a limit to what he can do by himself.

In my opinion, power hungry heroes strike a perfect balance between the tragedy of classic wuxia genre and idealized high fantasy stories. Unlike classic Wuxia stories, the MC has political power--therefore he can reform the state and he is not alone--he has an army. At the same time, the cunning and sheer ruthlessness of the MC's policies avoids the unrealistic oversimplifications of running a state in a high fantasy story. Realistically, someone like Aragorn would not have been a good king because he is just not ruthless enough. CN novels of such genre goes into depth of the MC's tax policy.Through such details, you can understand why the MC's state succeeds, and why the MC's subjects prosper under good governance, instead of the author simply brushing things over and say that the MC ruled fairly,the end.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote