View Single Post
Old 2021-01-17, 18:51   Link #100
Twi

I just think it was more unnecessary than anything else, but I just chalk it up to the writing being flawed as a product of its time and a trendsetter.

I mean, actively crucifying him outside of the school is excessive not only when you consider the logistics of how they could do that, the consequences of what would happen, and the seriousness of how it would be handled in a first-world country (which he was in at the time). The writer probably didn't consider that and just threw it in as a means to justify his fears and earn some sympathy points. Less would have been more here to be honest, bullying in itself is pretty traumatizing without needing to go so far in a constructed world of fiction and I could even understand them pulling his pants down in public to humiliate him, but stringing him up is just excessive.

In the same vein, having the parents going to town with one another every night is understandable. Roxy being outside where she can get caught instead of listening through the walls of a room when she's a genius wizard just so the main protagonist can catch a glimpse is just poorly done. More so since that's the only mentioned time of it happening as they flash forward through a year of training. For example, the author probably could have just had Rudy go to her room to ask her a magic question if she was still up and catch her in the act because the parents are so freaking loud that I'm surprised anyone can sleep in that home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
It gets worse. Why did the funeral happen to begin with?

Honestly, I just can't get behind the premise here. The fact that this guy gets a second chance at life is incredibly insulting. He was practically suicidal when he saw that truck. The only life left for him was one of a beggar starving on the streets. So he saved some kids at virtually no loss to himself. Wow, give the guy a cookie.
Well, specifically we don't know why he got a second chance at life so we don't know if there's some kind of mechanic behind it or something else. At least not yet. But, in the context of writing, you're not wrong.

The author presents him as an Otaku in its purest, most unflattering form without going into being an outright jerk. Yeah he was a victim of bullying to justify his fear for staying locked in his home, but at the end of the day he was a fat loser who skipped his parents funeral to masturbate to something really unwholesome (WN spoilers) in contrast to any other kind of more understandable excuse and got the boot because he had it coming, with premise being that if a guy who screwed his life up this much gets a second chance and can do it better, anyone can do so... presumably without the dying bit.

Or so I tell myself.