View Single Post
Old 2021-11-25, 03:29   Link #18
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I finally got to watch the movie on the silver screen. It's a pretty film, and I wish it luck at any awards it might get nominated for.

Ultimately, though, while I enjoyed Belle, I wasn't wowed by it. For starters, I'm disappointed that Hosoda rehashed familiar ground that he had already explored previously, particularly for the setting of U. As someone else pointed out, it instantly reminds me of Summer Wars, and the virtual worlds of both movies are functionally the same thing.

Narratively, I also felt that the story threads were pulling in different directions, and while they eventually did tie together, the payoff didn't feel satisfying. For example:

Spoiler for character relationships and plot points:

The plus points: The soundtrack and the songs are really good and suitably pleasing. The movie is at its best whenever Belle/Suzu gets to sing her heart out, especially towards the poignant finale. And the characters, while not particularly memorable, are at least good fun to watch.

Overall, I feel that, creatively, Belle is actually a step backwards for Hosoda. Most fans seem to dislike Mirai, but I still maintain that that was the film which Hosoda should be better noted for, because he took more daring risks with that movie than he did with Belle.

In conclusion, like others said, Belle is not a bad movie. But it's not a great movie either. It's just a little bit above-average at best.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote