View Single Post
Old 2022-03-27, 02:16   Link #92
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Luffy had the capability of unlocking the power of imagination this whole time? I bet you didn't know it through 1000+ chapters until a few days ago. The people who keep saying "nothing's changed" are just strange to me. If you like it, that's totally fine, but things have certainly changed...
The phrase "power of imagination" is disingenuous when describing the fruit's ability; imagination is not the ability itself but a creative mind will be able to take it further. But speaking broadly, yes. What got Luffy through pre-timeskip was the different ways he thought of using his ability. Part of the reason why I give the revelations of Gear 2nd and 3rd a pass even though they're a total asspull is because they were fun "ideas" Luffy came up with to use in battle rather than a properly trained technique. The ideas continued with Gear 4th and Haki. Gear 5th is the culmination of that.

Quote:
I think Oda will eventually describe it as an inherited will thing similar to Naruto which is why people are making the connection. This is yet another retcon because we never saw people's wills altered from eating their DFs. Take the CP9 characters in Water 7 for instance since we literally saw them eat the fruits, and a zoan at that. They were the exact same characters after eating the fruits +the new power. Now Oda is introducing this inherited will thing which I assume will only be for the Nika DF but who knows at this point
Yep, like I said in my earlier post this would be another bigger retcon. But until it actually happens I'm not willing to consider it; so let's put this part of the discussion on hold.

Quote:
Are you willing to bite the bullet and admit that "putting smiles on faces far and wide" and "the embodiment of the warrior of liberation" describe Luffy's character up until now?
Not the whole of his character but YES. This is again self evident. The disagreement is that I don't believe that the fruit mentally influenced him into this mindset. I think its the opposite: that Luffy while following his own convictions has ended up embodying the ideals of the true nature of his fruit.

Its speculative but if the fruit has a will of its own, maybe Luffy wound up eating it because he was the one who innately had a nature identical to what the fruit desired.