View Single Post
Old 2022-09-15, 09:22   Link #20
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
5 episodes in. Pretty enjoyable thus far. As someone who's never played the game, I felt like playing the game would make the initial episode experience a bit better, because it felt like there was some general knowledge a game player would have to understand the world easier. Like, I know I'm not the most attentive person around(require multiple views to grasp a story), but so far in, I couldn't tell you what an Edgerunner actually is, which I'm sure if you played the game, you'd already know.

Nonetheless, the visuals are great. Trigger doing Trigger things with no restrictions, so blood, nudity, etc.; all come out in full force. Makes me feel that Trigger was probably one of the best studios to bring this world to life. The soundtrack is really good; some of the tracks brought out the FLCL vibes for me. The story is a bit here-and-there for me though. I know what their intentions are, but I feel that the story didn't really tell me why they are doing what they are doing. Not sure if its because they didn't explain it, or if I am just being inattentive. Nonetheless, there's a certain maturity I really appreciate from this series. Not just because it has nudity, blood, sex or whatever, but the way the relationships are built up between the MC and the crew and not glorifying deaths are just very well done concepts, and the avoidance of typical anime tropes really give this a more western feel, as it should, since its based on a western game.

Most annoying thing is actually the subtitles. Hate subs that just mimic the eng language dub instead of being an actual translation. Nothing new for Netflix, but still, its annoying to hear one thing, then subs say something different.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote