View Single Post
Old 2022-10-01, 15:14   Link #7
Greenish Growth

Well I still don't mind expulsion stories just so long as it doesn't do the same thing I've seen dozens of times before done six or seven times in a row. It also helps if the characters are more likable than average. I prefer the ones with childhood friends being involved if possible because it either makes the event hurt more or makes it feel more triumphant when things work out later.

Expulsion stories can be unbelievable because they often make the expulsers incredibly, unbelievably stupid. They usually never admit they're wrong even when all the evidence shows otherwise. The stupidest characters just continue to insist they're right even when the entire country is against them. They feel like cardboard antagonists. The expulsed character lied and cheated or put a curse on them and that's why they became so weak and ineffective. It's never because of anything they did. Many expulsion stories are like that.

I'm pretty sure that's why a lot of novel readers hate expulsion stories as a type - because there are so many bad stories in that category. The cardboard antagonists are only there to be hated by the reader and they usually have no depth of character.

I didn't mind the manga for this expulsion story though. I thought it was above average for its type.

Last edited by Greenish Growth; 2022-10-01 at 16:22.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote