View Single Post
Old 2022-10-08, 21:48   Link #62
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by original premise
An inexperienced MC finding an intelligent magic weapon which helps them become stronger is a pretty common story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Zero no Tsukaima, Soul Eater, Noragami, Durararara, Nise Seiken Monogatari, Rance...
Are you counting someone summoning a human or some other "human" being involved somehow (including ones that can turn into swords or some such but are 90% of the time NOT a sword) as the same thing as "finding a magic weapon" or an "entity that is ONLY a sword" for the entire story? Because it looks like you are.

I'm not sure of the Ddurarara one as I never watched it, but wouldnt count any of the others under the criteria of "story defining intelligent weapon that the hero relies on for their power". And neither of the ones that actually have weapons fit the "finding" part very much either, unless they being already super strong entities like gods of disaster in norogami and using a strong weapon counts as "finding" anything.

If we're just talking summons, strong ass sword, random people that can turn into swords, blah blah, then sure we've seen plenty.

Just for clarity I'll break it down. A show with all of the following:
  • "An inexperienced MC" — presumably they're not some "inexperienced" godly-entity either and have something normal/average about them
  • "finding" — as in typically being implausible for them to get it or come near it (not just one of many possible godly weapons they could have had)
  • "an intelligent magic weapon" — not a human, not a summon, not a human that turns into a weapon, not a monster entity that's "a weapon" in the technical sense, not a familiar that helps out, etc. It has to be a "weapon" 100% of the time and the main character has to "wield it"
  • "which helps them become stronger" — not some key that unlocks their hidden godly snowflake identity (outside of buffs), presumably they are powerless average and not special in any way with out it

Though given even in the list provided with out meeting the criteria out of two decades of shows we had to go all the way to zero, and involve the not-even-an-anime nise and rance of all things, I think it's clear just how "common" it is, as in not really common at all. Honestly the only one that comes to mind is that armor girl show or shield hero show but they don't meet the "intelligent" or "finding" criteria either (and they're just strong overall from the start more or less).