View Single Post
Old 2022-10-11, 15:23   Link #295
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Which is exactly why I said I hope it does change. But given MS Utena is only about 24 episodes, it doesn’t have much time to become a Gundam series.
It sounds to me like you never watched Utena. From beginning to end, Utena always fought for Anthy's sake. Meaning, Utena could have stopped fighting and walked away from all the duel shenanigans at any time and there would have been no consequences for herself. Anthy would have suffered but Utena herself would have been fine. While Witch from Mercury followed a similar formula in episode 1, having Suletta fighting for Miorine's sake, it already departed from that formula in episode 2. After episode 2 Sulleta is not fighting for Miorine anymore. Now she's gonna have to fight for her own sake, namely to avoid getting expelled and having Aeriel dismantled. That's different from Utena's premise. On top of that there's also the matter of Suletta's mother using her as a tool for revenge. That wasn't a thing in Utena either. No one ever used Utena as a tool for revenge or anything like that.

Honestly, just because episode 1 had some homage to Utena, it doesn't mean the show will be Utena with Gundams. Episode 2 has proved that's not what the staff is trying to do. This is very much its own story.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2022-10-11 at 15:40.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote