Thread: Crunchyroll Suzume no Tojimari
View Single Post
Old 2023-04-18, 18:37   Link #96
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Unlike most people here, I absolutely loved Weathering with You (probably my #3 Shinkai movie), which to be fair dampened my enjoyment of Suzume.

But yeah, I didn't even know Suzume was airing, as I was on 'anime hiatus' for a couple of years (mainly because the most of the osananajimi focused animes in the past few years, ex. Bakarina and Tomo-chan just to name a couple, I've already read the manga/LN long ago). Been binging on Kdramas and more to the topic, Vtubers, of which IrYs mentioned she has seen it a few weeks back. Considering part of the reason why I follow IrYs is because she's a big shipper at heart, and she didn't like the ship in Suzume, I was heavily intrigued. Cue in the movie showing in my neck of the woods this past week, so I decided to check it out.

And at the beginning? Didn't see what IrYs was talking about. Souta was cool, and Suzume is IMO one of the coolest heroine Makoto has made. And aesthetic-wise, IMO SoutaXSuzume is the handsomest/prettiest couple that Makoto has ever made in his career.

But near the middle, I see what she was getting at. While Irys didn't specifically say why she didn't ship the main couple (for spoiler reasons), I personally didn't see how Suzume fell head over heels in love with him. Or heck, I didn't even see her connect with him on a deeper level, to the point that she will risk life and limb to rescue him. Like girl, you travelling across Japan and maybe even endangering millions of people just to rescue some hot ikemen you met not even a week ago? Yeah, can't suspend my disbelief on that one; not that girls chasing down hot guys doesn't happen IRL (goodness knows I know how crazy Kpop fans can get), but within the narrative, it didn't click with me.

First third of the movie is fine, middle of the movie I was left perplexed as to Suzume's motivations, but the last third was a mess. How Suzume met not only Serizawa but her Aunt in the middle of Tokyo left me rolling my eyes several times, then they have to slide in Aunt's "negative thoughts" of raising Suzume felt like a cheap attempt to try to get us to be emotional. Yeah, didn't buy the last third of the movie AT ALL.

So overall, IMO not one of Shinkai's best work; heck I will rank Suzume for sure in the bottome half, if not the bottom quarter. But it wasn't all bad - the adventure part of the story made even a homebody like me want to go out on a road trip or something. Maybe I'll go camping during the summer or something?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote