View Single Post
Old 2023-10-21, 06:45   Link #203
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Her moniker is something lost in translation, as it's supposed to be the title drop and have multiple meanings.

The original title and her moniker is Sousou no Frieren 葬送のフリーレン, with sousou meaning "attending a funeral".
The word leaves room for the interpretation that she's someone who outlives others because of her natural lifespan while also leaving the possibility that she is the gravedigger.

There's just no way to translate it in English without losing the nuance of one or the other.
Case in point: "Beyond Journey's End" captures her story after Himmel's death well, but now the nuance of her being a killer is lost. Conversely, "Slayer" would only describe her as a cold-blooded killer but it doesn't describe the story of how Frieren has to outlive everyone she will ever know.
I didn't know about that. Really interesting.

I'm thinking this story will most likely end with Fern dying of old age, and Frieren not having regrets this time because she always stayed by her side and went out of her way to get to know her.

On a different note, I'd say Himmel is partly to blame for Elves going extinct. He could have had tons of babies with Frieren if he had just confessed. Of course, there's no way to know how Frieren would have reacted, but in retrospect it's clear she did like him. We'll never know what could have been.