View Single Post
Old 2023-11-19, 07:02   Link #288
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
I really like how they start the mystery past ep 15? and delay the debut of the final form as late as possible.

Historically, imo, new generation ultraman shows have the most boring episodes between ep 15 and 20, it's after the debut of final form, and before the final arc. They got to showcase how strong the final form was, so they couldn't really bring a lot of relevant enemies to play (or they would get killed), so therefore a lot of standalone episodes between 15-20, and the quality dropped. To me it happened to X, Orb, geats, Z, trigger, and decker.

This time, yes, blazer has standalone episodes between 15-20 too. But because they just started the mystery (V99), and we are still waiting for the final form, so the viewing experience becomes a lot better (minus the constant recap...)

Don't know if the toy department will complain, but now the director (who also directs Z) is probably the most successful ultraman director right now, so lucky we get this welcome change (no form variant, and push the final form to happen later)
We had Ultraman Geats?

Joke aside, I think by the end it ultimately depends on writer capacity to handle demand.
I mean, KR post-Decade pre-Reiwa are full of toys yet it doesn't stop Riku Sanjo to have two solid series (W and Drive) where the toys are actively involved and Shugo Muto, a guest writer from J-Dorama team, delivered Build on top of arrays of likeable MC like Eiji, Gentaro, Haruto and Kouta with various range of success.

What you consider problem in Geats is already there since Ex-Aid and Zero One, other two Yuya Takahashi series.
Strong start, weak middle, rushed ending with half-baked conclusion followed by side-materials that portray antagonists as reasonable people. Geats fans tend to threw "executive meddling" whenever Geats last story arc criticized but I'd say its Yuya own problem because it three series already; previously we got Revice (where all Riders after Ultimate Revice have no catalogue entries just like Riders after Geats IX) while Saber can walk just easy (new "Rider" is only Storious and they managed to conclude the story nicely).

Tsuburaya is no different; instead of toys I think what hurt most is obligatory tie-in.
Decker really hurted by that second Trigger appearance when it can be used for Agams, Decker background build up or maybe even Dinas foreshadowing. Godzilla tribute episode is fine but seriously they can packed more on that episode than just higher-ups being annoying somehow all investigation halted indefinitely.

I can see Blazar learn from criticism throughout Trigger and Decker, but I won't put it above "it could be better" (e.g. V99 can be introduced gradually since Gento insisted on calling the giant "Ultraman Blazar", no recap to make Gento screentime as either father or commander more effective).