Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2006-10-02, 10:02   Link #2050
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

I'm back to my usual diplomatic style now

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignae
edit: Argh, I can't seem to leave this alone. The entire HB paragraph is implying that Simoun is using its sex appeal to prop itself up and that it has nothing else. The problem with this argument is, if we disagree with yononaka there, there is no more to say besides flogging that dead horse.
If you mean the HR paragraph, it's not really all about sex appeal. Perhaps I should have broken the paragraph at the middle... Anyway, it's more about the elusive "mood" that I think HR has loads of and Simoun fails at because it tries too hard.

As for the sex appeal, I wouldn't propose something silly like "it has nothing else". However, Simoun is certainly relying on it, whereas HR I don't think was relying on it at all (unless you count the angelic elements as sex appeal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost89475
If simoun was "manipulating" me into watching it, then i guess i was manipulated. but aren't shows supposed to "draw" us into their world?
Just in case: I wasn't trying to imply that Simoun fans are chumps who got suckered into liking the show Manipulating the audience is a common thing, most--if not all--shows have it in one from or another. I just don't think Simoun managed to integrate all of it's "carrots" well enough, and for whatever reason I didn't find them tasty enough.

Last edited by yononaka; 2006-10-02 at 10:39. Reason: typo fixes
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote