View Single Post
Old 2006-10-16, 08:20   Link #89
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Dang, all those codec developments and optimizations to save bits and bitrate in the past years have all been in vain ... bayoab, please leave the technical talk to people who actually have any knowledge about this issue. This ignorant statement disqualifies you from any meaningful discussion on this subject.
I'll quote TheFluff here since you clearly missed the point but he got part of what I was getting at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
For the 16457567th time:
THE AMOUNT OF BITRATE A GIVEN EPISODE REQUIRES TO LOOK GOOD HAS NO RELATION WHATSOEVER TO THE USUAL FIXED SIZES.

Point: certain shows can be compressed into oblivion and back and still look good, others can't. I should also remind the honored forum populace of the old truth "crap in, crap out". A good encoder can rescue a crappy raw to some degree, but there are limits (and I assume this is what bayoab is getting at with his "filesize is not related to quality" comment).
The other part of my point (beside compressability due to colors) is that an incompetent encoder can bloat a file (easily). (This is assuming they do not use the size control option and instead use the quant/qual/bitrate options on XviD. I have no idea what options .264 stuff has.). This is of course much harder considering how encoding is now, but is still possible. Kanon prelude would probably be a good example of the variation possible in file size. (I would bet from seeing at least 3 of them that the order of the sizes is not the order of the quality.)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote