View Single Post
Old 2006-11-05, 23:18   Link #1
wao
OK.

Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Sacred Spirit)

Official website NHK Moribito site

Why isn't there a thread about this? Well, I searched for one and couldn't find it, so shoot me if there's one.

Anyway, this anime, Seirei no Moribito 精霊の守り人 (Guardian of the Spirits?) was annoucned some time back but today I just checked it up and it's got a helluva lot more info than the last time I checked (which was, admittedly, months ago).

-----

Airing: It is slated to air for 26 episodes starting next spring, according to the site.

It's based off a series of fantasy novels by Shihoko Uehashi (Uehashi not Kamihashi right?), set in an Asian sort of background. I think it's Korean-inspired or is set in ancient Korea or something (you can tell I haven't read up much about this anime).

It'll be produced by the famous Production I.G., under Kenji Kamiyama, the director of the Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex TV series, and will air on what is probably Japan's most watched network (?), NHK.

-------

Spoiler for me squeeing over production values:

And furthermore, the story seems quite interesting. I like fantasy sort of things and a Korean-inspired kind of background would be quite intriguing, and I have faith they will do a beautiful rendition of it both visually and conceptually. I am quite interested by the premise of a female bodyguard (Parza?) protecting a royal heir (Chagum), who is burdened with the role of "Seirei no Moribito" (which comes about every 100 years?). Seems like Chagum's father wants to get rid of him but his mother recognizes Parza's abilities and asks her to become Chagum's bodyguard.

Anyway, let's hope my expectations for this series are at least partially justified. I'll definitely be checking this out!

(Oh, and strangely, if you google the name of the character designer 麻生我等 you get some ero-kind of manga o_O)