Thread: Licensed Hidamari Sketch
View Single Post
Old 2007-02-09, 11:50   Link #84
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Really, at the moment I do think this is visually the most esthetically pleasing anime I've ever seen. The visual invention is like being in an art school -- with only the best students. They only repeat the most interesting conceits, and they don't repeat them too much.
Spoiler for ep5:
Every week, the way the art, sound, characters, and story interweave leaves me feeling better about people, and about life.

Seeing ep1 subbed also added to the Hidamari enjoyment. Thanks, Shintani.

And I hesitate to say it now, but Gotou Yuuko's voice was mesmerizingly beautiful in both episodes. Not that any of the other four main voices aren't a joy to listen to, too.

Note: If anyone thinks I should put more of this in spoilers, please let me know.
Yeah, Kaoru an art detail is not really a spoiler, those spoiler tags are mostly for plot detail and character revelations or in my case I also use them to hide large picture posts. Also with your choice of words in paragraph one I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Perhaps you should revise it and clarify the terms "visual invention" and "Interesting Conceits". Perhaps you mean visual innovation, which is unfortunately not the case for me since I've seen Pani Poni Dash as also done by Shaft, and it has the same bizarre switches to chibi and surrealism as well. That doesn't mean it isn't funny as hell to look at and watch though.

Oh and please please please don't plant expectations of life altering viewing here, as I'm just going to have to ignore that, as I can tell dead on that this isn't what its about, this is about a girl wanting to make an impression in the world of art and the bizzareness and friendships with the other classmates that seem to follow, simply slice of life with a side dish of light comedy and enough character to keep it going along. Unreasonable expectations are so not cool. Though if a slice of life comedy can leave you feeling better about life after a viewing you are the single happiest and satisfied person on the place of the earth and I envy that.

On another topic to everybody, if Yuko Goto is the pink haired girl, she is very tolerable in that role. I still think she'll never make big waves, but at least I don't have to hit the mute button here.

After seeing episode 1, I have to say that my current favourite is the whimiscal and clueless Miyako with a follow-up by the tough but sweet cosplaying art teacher who makes squeaking noises whenever she walks. The other characters are strange and interesting as well with the diet happy Hiro and the insecure Sae. Yuno also has much to learn it would seem and thus the most room to grow throughout her time at the art school. This is a good, nice, and subtle way to introduce the cast without overstepping or forcing anything to early on. Sometimes I wish real life could be like this, but thats just never going to happen as I said earlier, its just a show and nothing it can do can have any impact on the real world or the people in it for better or worse. Here's to them keeping everything subtle and restrained as we see Yuno's year at the academy. This is such a humble series that its impossible to hate it like I do the self-indulging, overly ambitious and ultimately pointless Manabi Straight, which started of humble, but quickly devolved into a vehicle for the voice actors and animators to work their craft at the expense of plot and character. I also think I crossed the two shows together and it was really Hidamari Sketch I wanted to watch in the first place and I attributed aspects of Hidamari to Manabi Straight. Oh well, too late now as I've made the final decision that Hidamari will be my all girl slice of life story for 2007.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-02-09 at 13:04.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote