Thread: Moving on...
View Single Post
Old 2007-04-29, 01:46   Link #12
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Okay, setting momentarily aside the matter of Azureus (at least it works), there's something else that bothers me (and it has to do a lot with my ignorance of what's going on most of times with linux).

You see, I installed mplayer from the add/remove programs thingy, and it didn't run anything. I learned later that it has no codecs installed, so I unpacked the essential codec pack found in the mplayer homepage. Browsing around Animesuki I found this post where it gives some basic pointers. From there on I don't remember very well what I did, I think I installed some other basic package that didn't come integrated with Ubuntu (apt-get install essential-build or something like that) which I think installed everything you told me in that post (that was too large for CD distribution). After that, I uninstalled mplayer, and am compiling it or whatever according to the instructions of that Animesuki post.

I tried ./configure --enable-gui in the mplayer directory and it turned out some png package was missing. I installed it, but when trying ./configure again it said I needed X11 or something. I googled it and pages regarding Mac OS came up. WTF?!

So I just compiled it normally, without the --enable-gui. This means I'm stuck with the command prompt for it?

Ugh, my Windows-dependence has started to take its toll. I guess it's just a matter of time, though, till I get used to this whole new stuff.

Quote:
1) There are two types of nVidia (and ATI) drivers. x.org makes open-source 2D drivers for both cards that can be shipped with free distributions. There are also proprietary drivers available from both companies that include support for accelerated 3D. However I do see a file on my Ubuntu 7.04 DVD in the directory /pool/restricted/n/nvidia-kernel-common/ that might have the proprietary stuff in it. Does the nVidia logo flash on-screen for a moment when the graphical interface starts up? That's how the proprietary nVidia driver behaves on my machine.
When I tried the Desktop Effects thingy on Ubuntu, it automatically told me there weren't Nvidia drivers installed--though I reckon it was referring to the 3D drivers you're talking about (if it wasn't then how the hell did it show 2D desktop visuals anyways?). I installed them and the flashy Ubuntu interface runs with no problem at all.

EDIT: I just tried playing a simple avi file and there was sound but no video. I still don't get the process of codec detection by mplayer... And nor automatically installed gxine and mplayer have any success playing files...

Am I stuck with VLC? I don't want that >.<

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2007-04-29 at 01:56.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote