View Single Post
Old 2007-06-16, 09:25   Link #525
gaguri

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
To cut my point short, what I'm really trying to say is that, while Twelve Kingdoms portrays Youko's struggles at the center, its story is viewed more from an omnipotent perspective than Seirei, which is why they're quite different from each other. The setting gets such a focus. This is especially evident in the novels, which go beyond Youko's story (from what I've heard).
o_0

Let's forget for a moment, that what you're saying now about the Twelve Kingdom's focus on Youko's struggles contradicts your initial statement about Twelve Kingdom placing more focus on building the world than the main character. I find the above statement still hard to swallow. Are you sure you didn't mean exactly the opposite?

Most of her insights come from her narratives in first point of view, either from her conversations with the monkey sword, or reflecting on the rat, Yuka, the band she travelled with, etc. Of course you have few comments from rat, Yuka and Shoryu on her change and strength, but that's rarely done compared to the intense and thorough tale unfold from her viewpoints.

Look back at Seirei on the other hand. This is less 'omnipotent' view than 12 kingdoms? Are you sure this world we see are all unfold from mostly Balsa's hands? Not from Chagum's PoV on the spectrum of lives from poor to royal, from his tutor's and brother's on the balancing importance of brotherly love and kingship, from his mother's on equally important maternal love, smiths on the role of weapons and Diviners and Shamans on blind pride and compromise? Were these all minor compared to Balsa taking her time-out healing her wounds and having some chat hinting about her past? I don't know about the novel but from everything anime version suggests, I'd like a bit more convincing notion.

Nice to see that at least BluWacky feeling somewhat similar to mine despite the overwhelming praises. Undeniably technical merits are high, but it hasn't been very blood-stirring like early episodes for a while. But I need to watch the latest episode so,
*goes off to download epi 11 too.
*edit: wait a minute...I've only seen nine...

Last edited by gaguri; 2007-06-16 at 09:55.
gaguri is offline   Reply With Quote