View Single Post
Old 2012-11-03, 08:16   Link #51
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I wonder what that might say about the state of the mental health profession in the world of Psycho-Pass. Is the "therapy" offered in this world entirely automated and/or AI-driven? Are human psychiatrists considered obsolete? Or did Sibyl (and/or humans) determine that such a profession was too mentally dangerous for any human to enter into since it would put one at a severe, continuous risk of "contamination"? Or maybe they're just having a hard time finding people willing to risk that contamination, hence a shortage of mental health professionals.
In episode, we saw a glimpse of the therapy session the victim from episode was undergoing, and there was a doctor with her, so it's not entirely AI-driven. I think humans are still very much in control of the Sibyl System and not the other way around. It would be very worrisome if only machines could psychoanalyze a person and pass judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Other viewers here have astutely commented on how the police force here seems a bit understaffed. Is that similarly because people tend to shy away from police and police-related professions because it would put you in contact with a lot of "contaminated" criminals? I can't help but wonder if one or more of these Enforcers are like that. Was Masaoka once an Inspector himself, who snapped one day, hence downgrading himself to an Enforcer? There's a certain calmness, confidence, and coolness to Masaoka that makes him really stand out amongst the other Enforcers, imo. And the way he dresses even has this "professional Inspector/Detective" feel to it.
I think it's pretty obvious Masaoka used to be an inspector. What he told Akane in the first episode and then in this one strongly hinted at it. Futhermore, he is incredibly talented when it comes to detective work and as you said, he just gives off an "inspector" vibe. I think Kogami might be the same, what Masaoka said about him implied he used to be normal before he "stared at the abyss too long". He might have been involved in some very nasty case.

If it is indeed common for inspectors to downgrade to enforcers, then it would definitely explained why they are understaffed. Being labeled a latent is pretty much the worst thing that can happen to you in that world, so nobody would want to take such a risky job.