View Single Post
Old 2011-11-15, 19:51   Link #37
Suiri Megami Alice
お兄ちゃんどいて! そいつ殺せない!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordblazer View Post
I've been trying to figure out the whole gist of it, but why are students able to decide the fate of the world? Are they given special privileges that others in the society aren't able to have?
Yes, the students have the political authorities in the countries, they run the government, and make decisions. Innocentius is actually K.P.A Italia's chancellor and Galileo is the Vice President (or the President I think, I can't remember his exact position). However, unlike other nations, Far East students will graduate at the age of 18, after that, they have no right to involve in politics anymore. Other countries has no age restriction, that's why Innocentius who look like in 40s can still be a student.

The Academy system is established after the defeat of Divine States in Harmonic Unification War to prevent Military and Political suppression of the Far East. Because there has nothing written in the Testament that the whole world had conquered Japan (or Divine States), they cannot take over Divine States. However, the Testament Union found a way to circumvent that by establishing Academy as the highest authority of the nation with the pretense of "peace, development, etc" (in other words, an ostensibly valid but BS excuse). They didn't conquer the Divine States that way but they have indirect control of the Far East.

Since Toori is both the Chancellor and the Student Council chairman, technically he has the highest authority in the Far East, but Yoshinao, the Musashi king, has the power to veto his decision (the King position is unique to Far East).

Also as stated in 9th clause of Westfallen Treaty, only students can deal with students during inter-Academy related problems. That's why President Sakai and the Provisional Councils aren't butting in to their confrontation, and just leaving the resolution of conflict to Masazumi.