View Single Post
Old 2012-03-16, 08:28   Link #194
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
All of the above is really no more than a fallacious appeal to emotion. Izumi irks you so therefore she is just plain wrong? How so? You accuse Izumi of never once trying to put herself in Mei's place, yet have you even tried to consider things from Izumi's point of view?

You also choose to interpret Izumi's confrontation as a self-serving accusation. May I ask how do you know it was self-serving? Are you privy to her thoughts? As far as I can tell, she wasn't telegraphing them to the audience, so how did you know? The truth is, you don't yet know. You're basing your judgment on subjective opinion, in which case I have presented another explanation, also based on subjective opinion, to counter yours. It's fine if you won't accept my explanation. What isn't fine is that you insist that only your opinion is correct while all other possibilities are not. Who, then, is being hypocritical here?

Now, things may yet turn out differently in the remaining episodes, especially given the increasing signs that Izumi may in fact be the "Other". But until we have more definitive information to work with, I will categorically insist that none of us has any solid basis to accuse one side or the other for being "wrong".

All we know for certainty, at the moment, is that Mei and Izumi can both be blamed for some things while being blameless on some other matters. We don't yet have conclusive evidence to say so either way. The only thing we can readily agree on is that the phenomenon is bringing out the worse in everyone — and that is what makes this a compelling show.
What Skyfall said: she irked me because she is wrong, not the opposite. And yes, I have already considered matters from her perspective and have already said multiple times I understand why she would feel that way and that I don't even blame her for it. However, understanding her actions does not mean I have to approve them.

I'm only exposing my interpretation of the scene based on what I've observed in this episode and the previous ones and asking you what you think of it. I thought I had added enough "To me", "I find", "I believe", etc... to make it clear I wasn't pretending to possess the one and objective truth (who doesn't even exist at the moment). I'm not trying to force my view on anybody, I'm trying to understand yours and make you understand mine. Personally, I find it interesting to read other people's point of view, even more so when they are drastically different from mine since that could mean my interpretation is wrong.

Of course, you're right, neither of us can know for sure who is correct at the moment. That doesn't mean we can't confront our point of views. Since it's getting heated, I'm just going to drop it though. There's no much more I can add anyway. I believe I understand where you're coming from, and I can only hope I've made you understand my reasoning just a little bit. We just can't agree, that tends to happen when there is no objective answer to a debate. I hope the answer will be given in the last two episodes, I'd like to know if I was totally wrong about Izumi.

Edit: That said, even if it is revealed she had nothing but good intentions (I'm not dismissing the possibility at all), I will still find the method she used plain wrong (it's the method that irked me). She had no right to claim Mei was the primary person responsible for everything in front of everybody without even trying to discuss with her first. That was the first logical step for a reconciliation.

Last edited by Kanon; 2012-03-16 at 08:45.